Old 11-06-2008, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Fast growing climber needed

On 11/6/08 13:44, in article
, "Ruby
Hare" wrote:
On Jun 10, 10:07*pm, Sacha wrote:

Definitely not Russian Vine - malicious suggestion! *The problem is going to
be the pot. *Some things will be happy in one for a while but not for ever.
Is there no alternative to a pot?

Eek- the RV sounds scarey and I will leave well alone! I guess the
other option to a pot is to dig up a few stone tile thingies. It's
doable.

Wendy

Russian Vine is a serious thug and often mistakenly planted by people
looking for a 'quick fix'. The majority soon come to regret it! Someone in
this village planted it about 5 years ago and is still trying to get rid of
it. If you can take up some tiles, dig the earth over - it's probably going
to be very compacted - and get some nutrients into it, you're extending your
range of possible plants considerably. It's possible that the evergreen,
winter-flowering Clematis armandii would do well because its root run would
get some cool from the other remaining stones. But it's a bit tender so
that would depend on where you live.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com