Old 11-06-2008, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Blue Cedar tree is dying

In article 41690f6b-06f2-46a1-a383-
,
says...
On 9 Jun, 14:10, Eddy wrote:
If there anything I can do to save this beautiful tree? *

It had been planted by previous owners right in front of the kitchen
window and they grow up to 30 to 40 feet so we had to move it. *We
carefully transplanted it last autumn. *The branches closest to the
ground have slowly turned dry-looking, then brown. *We have lopped them
off in the hope that the tree may use all its energy to keep the top
going. *But now I see that the very tip at the top is brown and the
brownness appears to be moving down that spike. *It's nine months since
we move the tree into its new position. *If it's dying it's a very slow
death. *When I removed one of the lower branches recently I clearly saw
that the inner wood was moist. *So it's been taking moisture in, for
sure. *

Thanks,
Eddy.

Charlie's right, it's probably too late to save it. In the hope of
saving somebody else's tree, something like this really needs time to
prepare the rootball before moving it, that is at least a growing
season. Allow a good diameter of rootball but bear in mind the
practicalities of moving this sort of weight (make it as big as you
can move), dig a deep trench all round it, cutting through any roots.
Replace that soil with a good friable compost /soil mix - lots of
small fibrous roots will regenerate into that during the growing
season. When you come to move the tree you'll lift it with all of that
fibrous root and you'll stand a chance of success following the advice
Charlie's already given. Use Google to find about moving mature trees,
you'll come up with some spectacular stuff about moving *really big*
trees.

I think there is also some stuff you can spray the tree with that helps
prevent water loss (like the stuff they use on Christmas trees) but no
use in this case as the damage has been done.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk