Old 12-06-2008, 02:43 AM posted to rec.gardens
Chris[_14_] Chris[_14_] is offline

Default VE

On Jun 10, 5:40 pm, Jangchub wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 10:34:51 -0700 (PDT), Chris

wrote:
I'm a little curious about something now. You mentioned in another
post that you weed your garden. I understand you have to kill plants
to eat and survive, but how does weeding fit in? This is simple
curiosity, since I weed without compunction. You mentioned you won't
use a herbicide, so I wondered if there's a difference- there
certainly isn't any difference in that the plant is dead. (Not saying
anything against that either, since while I am not organic, I also
don't use any pesticides or herbicides on my property).

Chris

We all kill things all day long. We walk on insects, microbes, digest
and kill bacteria. Sentient beings. Plants are not sentient beings.
At least they aren't sentient in my belief system. His Holiness the
Dalai Lama says plants are not sentient beings and I agree. There are
the studies of plants reacting to different stimuli, but by pulling a
weed, I am not committing murder, nor am I creating non-virtuous karma
by pulling weeds.

Like I said, I am certainly not condemning you for any of your
practices. But I have to ask something to be sure- do you really
consider bacteria and other microorganisms to be sentient?

Chris

I kill all day. There isn't an atom of space where a sentient being
doesn't exist (according to Buddhist teachings). I am very mindful of
that so when I walk I look down and intentionally try not to step on
things I can see with my eyes. Etc.