Old 12-06-2008, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default evergreen tree for screening

In article ,
smuudge writes:

| We have just had our old shed removed and the patio replaced with a
| deck and a large raised bed. It has obviously exposed 1 side of the
| house to our neighbours over the road and we would like our privacy
| back. We have various shrubs , ferns and bamboo in place and ready to
| go but we are looking for a quick fix, a tree, preferably evergreen (no
| leylandi!) that can sit in amongst the shrubs.
|
| Would be greatful for any recommendations? Love the tropical look of
| things like Albizia Julibrissin which somebody recommended but worried
| about its performance and screening abilities in the UK?

Albizia julibrissin is deciduous, anyway, and is VERY "iffy" in the UK.
I have been trying to get one to go for years, and it has lost ALL the
ground it gained in the "summer" over the winter. I needs a hot summer
to ripen its wood.

How big, where are you and what's your soil?

One good evergreen for many parts of the country is bay - yes, Laurus
nobilis. It will get out of hand, but (unlike leylandii) can be pruned
back as hard as you like and kept to any size from about 3' up. So can
holly (including the variegated ones) and yew, but bay is also useful.

It isn't an immediate fix, though, as it takes a couple of years to
get going. No immediate fix is satisfactory in the long term.

Generally, the south-west and far south have lashings of choice, most
of the south and midlands have plenty of choice, things get a bit
tricky as you go north, and it is only the northern upland areas which
are real problems.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.