Old 12-06-2008, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default evergreen tree for screening

On 12/6/08 00:14, in article , "smuudge"
wrote:

Hello all! Finally resorted to posting on a site with knowledge!

Im a avid 'visual' gardner but sadly know nothing about species and
type so im looking for some advice!

We have just had our old shed removed and the patio replaced with a
deck and a large raised bed. It has obviously exposed 1 side of the
house to our neighbours over the road and we would like our privacy
back. We have various shrubs , ferns and bamboo in place and ready to
go but we are looking for a quick fix, a tree, preferably evergreen (no
leylandi!) that can sit in amongst the shrubs.

Would be greatful for any recommendations? Love the tropical look of
things like Albizia Julibrissin which somebody recommended but worried
about its performance and screening abilities in the UK?

Very dodgy in UK. There was one in this garden but eventually a frost took
it off. Depending on where you are, I'd suggest a Camellia (you can grow a
late-flowering Clematis through it) or perhaps Eucryphia or again,
Crinodendron. Escallonias grow reasonably quickly and so do Eucalyptus if
you choose one which you can keep at the height you want it. But everything
does depend on where you live and the winter climate you have, the position
of the bed in terms of which way it faces and the soil.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com