Old 13-06-2008, 02:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Apple Tree questions

the branch is dead. a woodpecker is drilling in maybe for a nest? google for more
http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~iany/p...cker_holes.jpg

you can cut the branch. But I stopped attacks (little woodpecker holes) on an old
apple tree by using a brush to get rid of lose bark that hides insects. I scrubbed
the whole trunk and main branches. then I used thinned white latex to paint them.
all attacks stopped. within 3 years you really couldnt tell I had painted the tree
at all.

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 20:21:38 -0700, "Zootal" wrote:
1) I noticed this hole on one of the branches. The opening is a bit more
then in inch in diameter, and you can see wood shavings that have fallen out
of the hole. What would make a hole like this in a tree? I can't see
anything in the hole, and don't know how deep it goes - I don't really want
to stick my fingers in it :-)

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2008/...s/DSCF2788.JPG
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2008/...s/DSCF2789.JPG

2) See how the bark is peeling? The top of the branch is dried and
splitting. Is this branch dying, and should I take any action at this time,
like cut it off or try to save it? The other branches do not exhibit this
behavior.

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2008/...s/DSCF2794.JPG
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2008/...s/DSCF2790.JPG
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2008/...s/DSCF2792.JPG