Old 06-04-2003, 10:44 PM
Elliot Richmond

Default ants v Amdro -- ants winning

On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 17:21:41 GMT, "Wayfarer"
wrote:

I have a huge mound -- almost knee high about 15 to 18 inches next to my
garden -- I have tried Amdro and it did not seem to have any effect -- these
guys are mean -- I've fought with them before - gotta wear boots in the
summer to safty walk in the garden and gloves are a good idea to reach down
and pick something like squash. "Seven" dust works for awhile but obviously
isn't getting rid of the colony.

HELP PLEASE!!

I have found the following techniques to be effective.

Make sure we are talking about imported fire ants, Solenopsis invicta.
Lightly scratch the mound with a stick. If the ants boil out, they are
S. invicta.

Use fresh Amdro. Get a sealed bottle and open it a few minutes before
you plan to use it.

Do not spread the Amdro when the ground is wet or when it is going to
rain. Water breaks it down.

Spread the Amdro when the ants are active or are shortly to be active.
If it is too cool or too hot, the ants will not come out. The stuff
breaks down quickly in the open.

Do not put the material on the mound. That seems illogical, but the
ants won't touch it and may just abandon the mound and move a few
meters away. Instead, spread it around the mound a few centimeters
away. The ants will come out and get it and take it back into the
mound.

I also recommend broadcasting the Amdro all over your yard, using a
fertilizer spreader. You might even spread some in your neighbor's
yard next to your fence.

It is most helpful if you and all of your neighbors treat at the same
time.

Finally, do not expect immediate results. It will be a few days before
the ants are affected.

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor