Old 14-06-2008, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default Little Spiders

On Jun 14, 8:01*am, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,beccabun ga writes:

| Since we have just completed this, I have noticed the whole garden is
| over run with 1000's of tiny bright red spiders. Barely viewable if you
| were standing up, but if you are close to the ground they are literally
| running everywhere.
|
| I am worried that after all the effort and investment on plants, these
| little things will do damage? However they don't see to go near any of
| the plants that I can see, rather run about on the decking planks, and
| conrete paths etc. particularly in the dry warm weather.
|
| I hate to suggest this, but are they red spider mites?
|http://tinyurl.com/4al296

No.

Firstly, red spider mites don't run around. *Secondly, they rarely
appear red, even under a magnifying glass. *Thirdly, they aren't
found on decking and concrete. *Fourthly, the common small, bright
red, spider-like creatures are, in fact, spiders.

All spiders are carnivores, and they will live on microscopic
insects etc. *Generally, they help gardeners.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

not true spiders as such but arachnids (which include spiders) ; they
are mites; not red spider mites as you point out; in fact I have no
idea which kind apart from being "the tiny fast bright red mites that
you see running around on concrete"; they look harmless but that is
based on no particular information.