Old 14-06-2008, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Summerhouses!

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
et...
snip

I love my summerhouse, it started off very plain but my husband lined the
inside for me, my daughters painted the outside and I furnished it with
all the important things like comfy chairs radio book case and a box of
biscuits hidden in the corner - husband is diabetic and is not supposed to
know they are there. This morning my peace was disturbed by a family of
swallows who had great fun flying in thro the door and out of the window,
I kept very still and they took no notice of me at all, delightful :-)

Indeed. There was a very nice timber framed and slate roofed summer house in
the garden when we moved in, in 1964. It's still there. We furnished it with
desk, casual and other seating, shelves, an electricity supply etc. The
children used it for homework, we entertained in it (played games and drank
wine with friends on an evening). It was delightful.

Then Spouse moved a bench in to build his model aeroplanes. Then put things
on the shelves. Then moved in some cupboards for storage and the seating was
limited. Then ...

.... well I'm sure I don't need to say more. It's crammed to the gun'ls with
his stuff and there's hardly room for him to stand, never mind sit. He even
made the door open outwards instead of inwards to give more usable space.

sigh

The years have wrought their worst and the timbers are beyond replacing,
he's talking about replacing it with a plastic shed.

I THINK NOT!

Mary