Old 14-06-2008, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
endymion endymion is offline

Default Garden pond - past overgrown.

"Pete C" wrote in message
endymion wrote:
I need some help with my garden pond. I have been very ill and its got
somewhat ( a lot - I cant see it even) overgrown.

snippy

Charlie's comments are spot on. Clearing cannot be a gentle thing. If you
still have any wild life, put them in a temp home. When pond is cleared,
they will go back quite happily. When you've got things how you want them,
maybe add a fountain to agitate and airate the water.

With much huffing and puffing and hacking and clearing I have cut back the
trees and raised the canopy. I have pulled out two tress and I have removed
the Iris that was covering over half the pond.

I now have a somewhat muddy murky looking mass of water. I have very little
wild life in there. No frogs. No tadpoles, a few newts - not many to mention
given I had a thriving colony of frogs up to two years ago and toads and
newts. The frog spawn hatched but disappeared in 24 hours of getting into
the water.

I fear the culprit for all of this may be a whole colony of dragon fly
larvae which I have found inhabiting the Iris and the pond generally. I
counted at least 30 when I pulled the Iris out. No I have not put them back!

I guess though I have lost my wild life ( frogs, toads etc) now? There wont
be anything to come and spawn next spring. I used to have two resident
frogs in the pond. They seem to have gone too.

I am really heart broken.

I have plans now to try and replant the area around the pond and renew it
all.