Old 15-06-2008, 05:32 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dioclese Dioclese is offline

Default compost pile questions

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
A couple questions about my compost piles (plural) if you will.

How often do you water them? I've noticed that with all the heavy rain
I've been getting lately that the clippings have composted rather quickly
and into some rather nice soil. All that makes me wonder if I'm not
watering the piles enough - as in I don't letting rain do that. I do turn
my compost piles, that's why I have two.

How long would you expect a tree branch to take to degrade? Normally I
don't put wood in with my compost, but the occasional fallen limb (less
than 3/4" diameter) makes it in there. But some of those limbs have been
in there for a couple years without any outward indication of
decomposition - even when surrounded by fully decomposted grass,
dandilions, and shrubs.

Such branches, if hardwood, can be used for kindling instead. Kindling
should be kept very dry. Just another way to reduce petroleum product
usage. That is, BBQ starting fluid.
--
Dave