Old 15-06-2008, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul Paul is offline

Default Garlic - again

In message , judith
writes

In April I posted the following:

Growing for the first time in the garden. All sprouted OK but they
are now looking a bit sorry for themselves: leaves about 5 or 6 inches
long - but slightly brown/yellow. It has of course been quite cold
over the last two weeks - frosts or just above at night.
Is this their normal colour - rather than a nice green ;-)
Should I feed them?

Yesterday I dug them up as all foliage had disappeared some time ago.

The original cloves seem to have gone but there are a number of
spherical white "bulbs" - from half inch up to one inch in diameter.
They are not rotten at all.

Explanation or comments appreciated.

I have no explanation for this, but our first attempts at garlic on the
allotment produced very small bulbs, some of which were single balls.
They all did their job like any other garlic. The only thing I remember
about planting them was that we planted them too shallow.
--
Paul reply-to is valid