Old 15-06-2008, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Alan is offline

Default Stella cherry problem

In message , Broadback
wrote

I have a fan trained Stella cherry on a South facing wall. It is about
6 years old, very healthy apart from blackfly which attacks the new
growth every year, which this year I have treated, thus reducing the
blackfly considerably. This year, for the first time, I have a a large
number of fruit set, however sadly they are not developing well. Most
have dried up and shrunk, with few remaining in reasonable condition. I
know it is too late for this year but any suggestions as to the problem
and possible cure for the future? TIA.

I've have the same with my cherry tree this year. Masses of flowers
early in the year when my Mason bee colony was active but most of the
fruit are shrunken with a few fruit developing well. No major problem
with pest observed. The crop this year will be around a 20th of that of
last year. The cause is probably climatic and global warming has
destroyed the crop

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com