Old 15-06-2008, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore Pam Moore is offline

Default Garlic - again

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 10:13:33 +0100, judith
wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 10:06:05 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 05:33:04 +0100, judith wrote:

In April I posted the following:

Growing for the first time in the garden. All sprouted OK but they
are now looking a bit sorry for themselves: leaves about 5 or 6 inches
long - but slightly brown/yellow. It has of course been quite cold
over the last two weeks - frosts or just above at night.
Is this their normal colour - rather than a nice green ;-)
Should I feed them?

Yesterday I dug them up as all foliage had disappeared some time ago.

The original cloves seem to have gone but there are a number of
spherical white "bulbs" - from half inch up to one inch in diameter.
They are not rotten at all.

Explanation or comments appreciated.

The spherical white bulbs divide into cloves?

No - I have just split one with a knife - just like a very small bulbs
- very moist with a strong garlic smell.

I have had this happen, with just one bulb, bigger than one clove,
forming. It was mentioned on GQT once that this can happen.
Either eat them or plant them again for next year.
As for the leaves dying down, that's what garlic does, and if you
don't dig it up now, you will not know where it is, and it will come
up again next year, maybe where you don't want it.
Dig up garlic at this stage.

Pam in Bristol