Old 15-06-2008, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
judith[_4_] judith[_4_] is offline

Default Garlic - again

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 11:37:11 +0100, "Pete Stockdale"
wrote:

"Pete Stockdale" wrote in message

"Cerumen" wrote in message

"judith" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 10:06:05 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 05:33:04 +0100, judith
wrote:

In April I posted the following:

Growing for the first time in the garden. All sprouted OK but they
are now looking a bit sorry for themselves: leaves about 5 or 6 inches
long - but slightly brown/yellow. It has of course been quite cold
over the last two weeks - frosts or just above at night.
Is this their normal colour - rather than a nice green ;-)
Should I feed them?

Yesterday I dug them up as all foliage had disappeared some time ago.

The original cloves seem to have gone but there are a number of
spherical white "bulbs" - from half inch up to one inch in diameter.
They are not rotten at all.

Explanation or comments appreciated.

The spherical white bulbs divide into cloves?

No - I have just split one with a knife - just like a very small bulbs
- very moist with a strong garlic smell.

Some kind of fly or fungal rot at a guess but never had any problems with
garlic so can't help much sorry.

Are you sure it has not "gone to seed" like onions do.
The supporting stem has gone and just the "flower "head is left.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

2nd thought !
Alternatively it could have propagated as my Scarborough lilies do.
Small bulblets form around the main bulb and in your case the main bulb has
rotted away.

Pete

I suspect that you are right - I wonder why?