Old 15-06-2008, 07:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
BigJohn BigJohn is offline

Default compost pile questions

On Jun 15, 12:32*am, "Dioclese" NONE wrote:
"Eigenvector" wrote in message

. ..

A couple questions about my compost piles (plural) if you will.

How often do you water them? *I've noticed that with all the heavy rain
I've been getting lately that the clippings have composted rather quickly
and into some rather nice soil. *All that makes me wonder if I'm not
watering the piles enough - as in I don't letting rain do that. *I do turn
my compost piles, that's why I have two.

How long would you expect a tree branch to take to degrade? *Normally I
don't put wood in with my compost, but the occasional fallen limb (less
than 3/4" diameter) makes it in there. *But some of those limbs have been
in there for a couple years without any outward indication of
decomposition - even when surrounded by fully decomposted grass,
dandilions, and shrubs.

Such branches, if hardwood, can be used for kindling instead. *Kindling
should be kept very dry. *Just another way to reduce petroleum product
usage. *That is, BBQ starting fluid.
--
Dave

I'm stripping off the leaves and using the branches to "basket weave"
around several posts to hide the pile.