Old 15-06-2008, 09:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
ntantiques ntantiques is offline

Default new to growing roses

On May 30, 3:14 pm, agentelrond agentelrond.
wrote:
beccabunga;795095 Wrote:

You shouldn't need to move your roses under cover in the UK - the
problem is more likely to be the pots splitting from the weather. If in
any doubt, wrap the pots in fleece.

thanx a million

--
agentelrond

I've successfully grown roses in large containers on my deck for
several years. We get regularly see overnight winter temps below
freezing and can count on at least a few nights well down into the
teens - sometimes accompanied by a foot or so of snow. Many of my
tender plants must go into the greenhouse to winterover, but not the
roses.

Think the trick is to plant in really large, thick walled containers -
I use the light-weight kind molded of some sort of dense, styrofoam-
like material. Found some in simple, classic shapes at one of the
home/garden centers, drilled drainage holes, and gave them a couple
of coats of a flat exterior paint in a putty gray color. They look
for all the world like nicely aged concrete and I think the thick
walls do a nice job insulating the roots - and this stuff won't crack
in the cold weather like some pottery.

If you move them to a sheltered area to winter, don't forget to check
on them - they'll appreciate occasional watering. During the warmer
weather make sure you give them plenty of sunlight. Water & fertilize
regularly - they may be a bit "needier" than roses planted in the
ground in that regard, but they can be a real delight.

Nancy T