Old 16-06-2008, 02:05 AM posted to austin.gardening
jOhN jOhN is offline

Default Speaking of tomatoes

jOhN wrote:
Fred C. Dobbs wrote:
My garden is just starting to get ripe slicing size tomatoes and it
turns out we get to share them with the 4 young squirrels we thought
were so cute just yesterday.

We got half of three tomatoes and the squirrels got the other half :-(

They were tasty though.....the tomatoes, not the squirrels.

Anybody have a good anti-squirrel tip or two that doesn't involve
violence or death?

jOhN

The squirrels ate four of my seven tomato plants. I came home
yesterday and the plants were just shredded.

I just ordered a water scarecrow that uses a motion detector to aim and
trigger its water spray to chase away the critters. It will be here
Monday - got great reviews and I know a couple of people that use them
on deer to their satisfaction.

ps: another tomato chewed this morning

Sunday morning my spouse ventured out to the garden at 6:30am - only to
spot a deer as it bolted away...........from out of the garden and its
former tomato glory :-(

That bastage/biotch had muscled its way past the deer netting and
proceeded to munch off the leaves of the okra, a few sprigs of the
tomato plants, and about 50% of the green tomatoes!!!! Just one day
ahead of us getting the water scarecrow - they must be spying on my email.

I'll report how the water scarecrow works in future posts.

The formerly Bambi loving, squirrel advocate that is also my wife can
get quite militant on some subjects. (note to self: don't cross this women)

jOhN