Old 07-04-2003, 12:56 AM
Anthony

Default Chicken Manure. Is it safe?

"Sacha" wrote in message
in article ,

at
wrote on 5/4/03 8:39 am:

You need to leave it in a heap somewhere so that it can rot down a bit.
Unrotted chicken manure can scorch roots. What you *can* do with it now

is
dilute it well in buckets of water and then use it on your veg. patch and
flowers. A year after we moved our chicken run, we planted potatoes in

that
area and had a fabulous crop!
--
Sacha

A very good point, chicken manure is very strong! Farmers usually leave it
to stand for at least 6 months before spreading it, and then sparingly, so
as not to burn the grass. Although the green leaves are scorched, the plants
are not usually killed and will recover. (So says me, who armed with a
Massey Ferguson and a Howard Rotaspreader turned approx 3 acres of grassland
a nice shade of brown in an afternoon! Well, I was young, thats my excuse
anyway ) I believe it is a very good source of nitrogen, hence the use on
the farm, to save at least 1 application of artificial fertilizer.
Anthony