Old 16-06-2008, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Rose ID

On 16/6/08 09:44, in article , "Bob
Hobden" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote...
after "Bob Hobden" replied
"Sacha" wrote
Would anyone happen to know which rose this is? The colour in the
photo
is
hopeless because the rose is a really deep crimson. It's a climber
and
is
scented and it's a truly gorgeous sight.
http://i32.tinypic.com/33ljpl0.jpg

You don't mention the height of the climber but my first thought was
the
short climber "Tess of the d'Urbervilles" which we have ...
http://www.davidaustinroses.com/engl...asp?showr=3486

I think you've got it, Bob. That looks remarkably like it and it's not,
apparently, very high growing. Many thanks. It's a really lovely rose
and
I did wonder if it might be a David Austin. Well worth growing for
colour
and scent and might be rather nice grown over a low wall, rather than up
one, do you think?

It's quite slow growing, well ours has been, but then ours is growing up
6ft West facing wall. The flowers are superb and it does produce them in
abundance. Regards growing over a wall, you know me, try it and see is
always my motto with plants.

First find your wall....... ;-))

Two other Roses we have used as short climbers that we can recommend (both
from the same stable)...

Graham Thomas. bright yellow.
http://www.davidaustinroses.com/engl...asp?showr=4255

Summer Song. bright rich burnt orange (unusual colour)
http://www.davidaustinroses.com/engl...asp?showr=4532

Thanks, Bob. I have a few problems persuading the powers that be here into
growing roses because they reckon the damp, mild SW leads to all the
problems that roses are prey to! However, I'm going to search through our
current stocks to see if we've got those and try to find Tess, as well.
BTW, if you haven't got Mme. Isaac Pereire I recommend highly. It doesn't
repeat flower but the scent and colour are second to none and it seems
virtually disease free.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com