Old 16-06-2008, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default There went summer

On 16/6/08 09:53, in article , "J L
Williams" wrote:

The message
from "Muddymike" contains these words:

I love that flight and I enjoy helicopters, though I know they have all the
glide propensity of a housebrick.

When I used to fly in one regularly we were told that in the case of an
emergency engine failure (not sure what other dead engine scenario there
could be other than "emergency") the aircraft could "autogiro" glide in for
a heavy but controlled landing. Was this just the operators trying to make
us feel safe? or did that only apply to that particular model, a Bell
Jetranger, I think.

/unlurkio
Helocipters can auto rotate down to within a few feet of the ground
where they use the torque (up lever) to land 'ever-so-gently'. They need
to be going forward slightly in doing so.
lurkio/
jim
PS I have no idea what a Chinook can/does in these circumstances.

You sound just the man to explain to me why helicopters do that sort of
'bow' thing as they take off. The nose always dips down before the
helicopter is straightening up and zooming away.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com