Old 16-06-2008, 12:25 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
V_coerulea V_coerulea is offline

Default Adding a large mounting structure - Experiment

I've had the exact opposite happen when looking at flowering patterns in
terete vandas. The refuse to flower until the growing end is hanging and
swaying in the breeze. There must be some genetic advantage for this
behavior. Maybe this doesn't happen in all teretes and is just my
observations. But I'm pretty sure I read this somewhere as well a long time
ago.
Gary

"Wendy7" wrote in message
First of all, no worries I am going to change the wire colour! My
Schomburgkia tibicinis has over
grown its piece of driftwood. So I put this large piece of tree fern into
an
old wire basket for stability.

This additional mount is an experiment to check on a theory I have.
I have noticed that once the plant has overgrown it's mount, it slows
down,
also produces smaller pseudobulbs etc.
This also happens if the mounted plant is hanging loose off say a
horizontal
pipe, sort of
blowing in the breeze. (Orchids are smart they want to be secure before
putting out new growth
& flowers) I have proved this by growing two pieces of the exact same
plant,
one on a mount fastened to
a pole, the other blowing & flapping in the breeze. The secure plant grew
more & larger pseudobulbs.

Anyhow just my thoughts so feel free to add yours.
Cheers Wendy