Old 16-06-2008, 02:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
Chris[_14_] Chris[_14_] is offline

Default Corn husks

On Jun 16, 6:37 am, "George.com" wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message

In article
,
Chris wrote:

Do corn husks make good mulch?

Chris

Anything that was once alive is 4 stars. Anything that passed thru a
digestive tract is 5 stars.
Guess the idea of esthetics can come into play. Ugly today can be
beauty in time. Instant results seem a nice concept but not long
lived. \

I harvested my corn, it was late & not finally harvested until early this
month, I laid the corn waste across the garden beds. It is not much of a
'mulch' but will add organic matter as it rots over winter. The used cobs go
on the garden around some trees.

rob

I am mainly interested in keeping the weeds down. I'm lucky enough to
have 2 nice composters. Mind you, I'm not complaining about the
fertilizer aspect of the husks

Chris