Old 16-06-2008, 04:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default compost pile questions

In article
,
Bill wrote:

In article ,
"Buderschnookie" wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message
That would depend entirely on the stove in which one is burning.
Some of the newer EPA rated stoves are quite stingy with their emissions.

That's pretty cool- I was not aware of that. Do they have some kind of
carbon scrubber?

Some of them recirculate the gasses to burn a second time and others have
catalytic converters.

I've used a Catalytic converter on a Efel Belgian wood stove. Heated
our 1600 Sq. foot home nicely for about 10 years 20 years ago. After
about 4 years they go bad. Wear out.

BUT...

The wood stove became more of a furnace. Crank it up to 1400 F and
then shut it down (The damper). I may be wrong about that temperature
as it has been awhile.

Good points.

1) A load will go overnight even in a small stove.
2) Creosote is burned up so a cool chimney doesnąt present a chimney
fire. Especially if you have a outside or cold chimney.
3) Smoke particles are reduced. Read no smoke but gases go up and some
think the gas with out a particle will not fall down. (Industry
installed bag filters to reduce the smoky emissions but the gases still
went up. Controversial .)
4) FOUR cords of wood will give the heat of SIX.

Bad points .

1) This baby is real hot I fenced it off with wire to prevent kids from
touching it.
2) Subtle build up a light layer of gray dust can build up clogging the
flue. This thing looks like a ceramic bee hive. I'd vacuum the device
once a month to reduce the chance of Carbon monoxide. I'd get a CO
alarm too.

Bill who heats with Natural Gas.

If this is anything like the ceramic stove I had in a house in the
Alsace, it is wonderful. A couple of pages of a newspaper, would heat
the entire room.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars