Old 16-06-2008, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default 2 Hedge Questions

On 16/6/08 14:09, in article
, "TheScullster"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote

Then I'm sure people who know about gardening 'up there' will come along
help you. If you'd been in the balmy south west and near the sea, I was
thinking of Escallonia or even Pittosporum tobira but I don't think they'd
like your climate!

--

I already have Escallonia Rubra Macanthra (sp) in a mixed hedge with
ceanothus, cotoneaster and ileagnus. All seem to do well.

I will look at your Pittosporum Tobira.

Thanks

Phil

I think that will be too tender for your location but never having gardened
there, what do I know?! Do you have Eleagnus ebbingei which is the highly
fragrant one? There's Berberis and Ribes and Choisya ternata 'Sundance' is
a good choice as its leaves are so colourful but some people hate their
smell and there's also Viburnum tinus and Osmanthus delavayi while Cotinus
coggyria makes a very pretty hedge. All would need some maintenance, though
and you'd have to check hardiness in your area.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com