Old 16-06-2008, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Garlic - again

"judith" wrote

In April I posted the following:

Growing for the first time in the garden. All sprouted OK but they
are now looking a bit sorry for themselves: leaves about 5 or 6 inches
long - but slightly brown/yellow. It has of course been quite cold
over the last two weeks - frosts or just above at night.
Is this their normal colour - rather than a nice green ;-)
Should I feed them?

Yesterday I dug them up as all foliage had disappeared some time ago.

The original cloves seem to have gone but there are a number of
spherical white "bulbs" - from half inch up to one inch in diameter.
They are not rotten at all.

Explanation or comments appreciated.

My understanding is that Garlic needs a cold spell to initiate the formation
of cloves, otherwise you get just one bigger bulb. No doubt you planted them
in the spring so no cold spell. Plant in Sept/Oct this year and you should
be OK.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden