Old 17-06-2008, 05:01 AM
Dennis Le Cornu Dennis Le Cornu is offline
Registered User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SausageTreeSlim View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm in the UK and and about five years ago I bought a small Queensland bottle tree (Brachychiton rupestris) from a garden centre and it's been growing happily in a pot in my front room since then.

As it now stands about 2 metres tall it's reached the ceiling and run out of room to grow upwards - can anyone advise me if I can trim the top off without damaging its health?

Or alternatively, would it be happy outdoors from now on? - I think I read somewhere that they can survive occasional frosts, and UK winters tend not to be all that harsh now.

Many thanks in advance for any help
Hi Sausagetreeslim. What is a Sausage Tree ??. I have a Queensland Bottle tree that I hope to develop as a Bonsai at some stage in its life. Just wanted to let you know that I have cut it back twice in 6 years to a dormant bud down the trunk and it has sprouted new branches at that point each time. I have also reduced root ball to expose roots. The tree has lived outside in semi shade in a plastic garden pot. We are heading into winter in Oz so I will wait a till just before spring to reduce the trunk one more time. It is currently about 1/2 metre. I would give yours a spell outside as you are heading into summer and take to it with your pruning saw. Be brave..you can bring it back into the house during your autumn/winter period once the new shoots have come away. dont overwater..that is easy here as we dont have any water.
Regards
Dennis