Old 17-06-2008, 03:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Color change in Roses - is it PH sensitive

Sounds logical - temp. We have two "Ebb Tide" and both are in that mode.
The mix is not exactly the same. Size of hole and the amount of the local
clay. Therefore the PH is slightly different between the two based on that.

I'll monitor it from time to time. Might take fall to fall before change
can be seen.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Jeffrey L. Kline wrote:
I'd bet it's more a function of temp than pH.

jk
"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
My beloved planted some deep purple roses - I don't have the name as of
yet -
and after the second bloom the color is a lighter shade of purple.

I'm thinking that the PH of the soil, clay and planting soil mixed might
be
altering the color.

What does the knowledge base have on this ?

I'll pursue the name - there is a tag on the plant.

I know some plants move like litmus paper - pink acid and blue base. I
think
I have a rose working like that to a lesser amount.

Martin

--
Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/