Old 17-06-2008, 09:21 PM
beccabunga beccabunga is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaomiH View Post
Hi I am very new to this whole forum thing so please make me aware if I breach any protocols that I am not aware of!

I am a uni student trying to gather data for my dissertation so hoping you may take the time to answer my survey below. What I am attempting to establish is what drives people to grow their own food and for those who do not what could be done to encourage them to, therefore reducing food miles and reducing land demand. Before I can look at what governmental strategies could be put in place I need something to analyse so would appreciate any responses. Thank you kindly.

1) Where do you live? (Town & County) On edge of town.

2) Please highlight any [of the following] within 15 minutes walking distance of where you live:

Local Convenience Store
Woodland / Working Farm / Country Side / Allotments

3) Is the property where you live rented or owned? OWNED

5) Have you ever considered using an allotment? NO

6) Is it possible to dedicate some of the garden to growing food and still allow you suitable space to meet your social needs? Possibly

8) Do you garden? YES

9) Please highlight any of the following that you grow:

Flowers Herbs /

10) If YES please highlight your reason for doing so: [Does this relate to #8? If so:
If Other Please State Reason: To keep healthy and sane

13) Are you male or female? FEMALE

14) What is your working status?:

Retired

If you got this far then I send you my deepest gratitude!

Do you have other / further questionnaires? It does not seem to me that from these questions you could possibly establish what drives people to grown their own food. For instance, you do not ask if they have a family background of vegetable and fruit growing. Nor do you establish if their financial situation forces them to do this or not.