Old 17-06-2008, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Yet more "worrisits"....

In article 200806171808148930-adm1@fastmailfm, adm writes:

| first is a big woody bush/hedge type thing with nasty spikes and
| berries that birds seem to like. It appears to have spread via suckers
| - it's up against one wall of my house and is beginning to cover up
| some windows, so what is it and how far can it be cut back?

Pyracantha, almost certainly, and one of its close relatives if not.
HARD. Even now.

| The second - well. I don't quite know how to describe it - the leaves
| are quite attractive, but I don't like the look of the flower bud?
| spears....any idea. This is also a bit messed up from bed clearance,
| but if the flowers are going to do something nice, I'll see if it can
| be salvaged!

An Arum, I think, and definitely an aroid. I doubt that the flowers
are up to much. It may be a variety of the common wild one (A. maculatum,
Lords and Ladies, Cuckoo Spit) with more marked leaves than the usual
form. Anyway, it will be grown for the leaves.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.