Old 18-06-2008, 12:33 AM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default Peat

On 6/17/2008 5:43 AM, DeanB wrote:
Is top soil plus some peat the same as peat-based compost?

Its just that I'm building a terrarium and they say peat-based
compost, but all the stuff they sell has added bits of vermiculite or
other white stuff in it which doesn't look so nice. I bought a big bag
of top soil ($1.28) and a bag of sphagnum moss peat and was wondering
if that would make for a good terrarium when mixed.

Thanks!

-Dean

Use my do-it-yourself potting mix. See
http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_potting_mix.html. Since a
terrarium generally has NO drainage, none of the nutrients will leach
away; thus, reduce the amount of nutrients from the recipe. It should
still have a trace of compost, but that too should be reduced.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean