Old 18-06-2008, 01:01 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default It's official (Verizon) - Anyone care if I post pictures at RGO?

Ping Kye. He set up abpo to begin with. Maybe he can do something under the
rec. group. John, do you have a valid email addie for him? He posted here
recently. Does the *binaries* thing have something to do with it? Is there a
bandwidth limit to the rec groups? If not, why would Mick Fournier have been
so livid whenever someone posted a picture at rgo? Aside from the fact that
he is, in general, a grinch, of course.

I don't object at all tp pictures on rgo. But maybe we need more
information. I imagine that other ISPs will follow suit eventually. There
have been articles lately about efforts by some ISPs to charge for
time/downloads over a certain limit. Apparently this is due to the
prevalence of movie downloads, interactive games, etc. Most of us would not
be affected by that, but I suppose some would.

I don't know enough about the vagaries of setting up the usenet groups to
figure it all out. Just threw out a few questions above.

Diana

"Ray B" wrote in message
newsOX5k.7676$LN.1133@trndny03...
A couple of comments:

1) Who uses dialup these days? Folks really should join the present as
we move to the future.

2) Might a "rec.gardens.orchids.photos" group pass muster?

"John Varigos" wrote in message
m...
Hi Ray

Looks like your other option is to subscribe to a commercial Newsgroup
provider. I do as my ISP's Newsgroup postings are poor and disappear
after a few days.

Let's do this democratically - see how many people object and let's go
with the majority position.

I have no objection to you posting to RGO. My understanding is that no
pictures are posted to RGO as some people are still using slow dial up
options. Most people can see the size of the posting and can choose
whether to view or not. In fact, having all the photos and discussion
together would probably work better anyway.

If this option is chosen, perhaps we should place some voluntary limits
on the size of photos posted so everyone can view even if they don't have
fast Internet connections.

John

"Ray B" wrote in message
Dear Verizon Online Customer,

As a Verizon Newsgroup service user, we wanted to let you know about
some important changes that we will soon be making to our Newsgroup
service.