Old 18-06-2008, 03:13 PM
beccabunga beccabunga is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
[/i][/color]

http://www.dentonmiller.net/Site/Stu...orrisits!.html

The

first is a big woody bush/hedge type thing with nasty spikes and
berries that birds seem to like. It appears to have spread via suckers
- it's up against one wall of my house and is beginning to cover up
some windows, so what is it and how far can it be cut back?

The second - well. I don't quite know how to describe it - the leaves
are quite attractive, but I don't like the look of the flower bud?
spears....any idea. This is also a bit messed up from bed clearance,
but if the flowers are going to do something nice, I'll see if it can
be salvaged!

thanks in advance.....

Alasdair
.

1: Pyracantha - can be cut back as hard as you like and kept trimmed. Very very useful for keeping intruders out. You will lose a couple of years of flowers and berries, but they will start coming again as the plant adjusts.

2: Arum maculatam [also known as italicum]. Grown for its winter leaves, can be quite stunning. If you don't want the flowers/berries, just take them off when they start.