Old 18-06-2008, 04:02 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jack Sprat Jack Sprat is offline

Default binding reel mower

On Jun 17, 4:37*pm, Art wrote:
Jack Sprat wrote:
Hello All,

I would greatly appreciate some help on this issue.

I was recently given a Mclean 20' 5 blade 3.5HP reel mower. I am
totally new to reel mowers but love the idea of them. *I am sick of
the "crop circles" in my lawn from my rotary mower.

As expected a free mower comes with problems. *When I adjust the
blades properly the mower makes a horrible noise when I engage the
reel. *I tried back lapping with some valve grinding paste. *I do not
have a back lapping kit so the way I have to do it is apply the paste
liberally to reel blades, engage the drive, and pull the mower
backwards. *This spins the reeel backwards. *Now the racket is even
worse ...and when I readjust the blades close enough to cut paper all
the way across it is so binding that I can't do additional
backlapping. *I even tried filing the bed knife (also called the
anvil?) at the edges where a ridge had developed from years of the
reel striking the bed knife.

There is no adjustement for the bed knife, only up and down at each
side for the reel. *I don't think the mower is worth $50 (new bed
knife) + $125 (sharpen reel professionally).

Any ideas on how I can fix this inexpensively? *Am I doing something
wrong?

Thanks much,
-jack

It is well worth that. Any thing less than having it done professionally
will not be satisfactory. I've been around reel mowers for years and I
don't try to adjust or sharpen them anymore. There is an art to it that
is quite difficult to quite master.

--
Art- Hide quoted text -

You can buy it at Sears brand new for $560. The mower is seven years
old. I also have to buy a $20 chain. My cost is up to about $200
now. When does it become not worth it?

Perhaps I should save myself some pain and trust your experience but I
really want to take a crack at doing this myself.

Any suggestions on what I should look at or try?