Old 18-06-2008, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching
Tom Withycombe Tom Withycombe is offline

Default Bird feeding observations

In message , 'Mike'
writes

"Broadback" wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
Having said that the peanut feeder was being ignored I now have to say
that
the last three days have seen coal tits (four at a time) green finches
and
blue tits going at it like gangbusters. The seed feeders are still
being
used but not to the same extent as just a few days ago. I do wish I
knew
what triggers the desire/need for different foods at different times.
The

This is why it is SO important to continue feeding all sorts of the
various feedstuffs ALL of the time.

And don't forget the ground feeders such as the Blackbirds and Thrushes

I should have added that a copious supply of drinking and bathing water
is important as well.

We have a dish, designed to put plant pots in some 18 inches diameter, on
one of the gravel areas. The antics of the Sparrows and Blackbirds with
their young is comical and a pleasure to see. I have captured many many
pictures which I will use in photographic competitions in the Camera Club
next winter.

Another point is the importance of keeping both clean water and seed
feeders topped up all of the time. I have wonderful neighbours who tend
to our watering and bird feeders etc when we are away and as we cruise a
lot, they are always on hand :-))

Good neighbours, you can't beat them :-))

Mike

This year, for the first time I have had a Jay on my bird table, seen
it/them in the garden frequently but never on the table. I'm please to say
that I have seen thrushes in my garden this year for the first time.

OH DEAR :-((((

Jays :-((

Very pretty. Very noisy and will take small birds from their nest.

We had a very big garden at our last house and would get Jays down first
thing in the morning ripping the peas off the plants :-((

Not a very nice bird to have around.

Mike

But "nice" birds are very few and far between - if indeed they exist at
all. In fact I know of none. They all have their instincts and genetic
inheritance. In spite of its beauty - which is undisputed - the Jay is a
survivor which requires a mixture of food to keep going. I fear this
includes meat 'n veg! It is, unofficially, a raptor - as is every bird
in its own way. Life's pretty tough out there.
Tom
--
Tom W.
Dorset/UK