Old 18-06-2008, 08:50 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.birds,rec.animals.wildlife
gls858 gls858 is offline

Default PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Tortoise Beetle

Jack Schmidling wrote:
This most curious insect was found chomping on an eggplant in the
garden. It appears at first to be a large scale insect until it starts
walking around or flies away.

js

Jack,
Cool looking bug. Your website had a comment about Morning Glory and
Nightshade and I always thought Morning Glory was a Nightshade so I did
a little checking and It looks like the Morning Glory family is part of
the Nightshade order. Don't know if I got the semantics right(Family,
order and such), but eggplants appear to be on the tortise beetle
approved menu.

http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_...ightshade.html
click on the see Nightshade link

gls858