Old 19-06-2008, 07:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Peter James[_2_] Peter James[_2_] is offline

Default Carrot problems

wrote:

snippped

Eeek! Can my carrots be saved before they take hold, or is it too
late, the first ominous signs are starting to appear, any sprays work?
Likewise my parsnips?
LOL at the aphids red herring.

Thank you anyway, not good news!

A trick that seemed fairly effective in my case, was to cover and mulch
the growing carrots with lawn clipppings. The theroy is that the fly
can't find the crop to lay eggs in under the grass clippings. It did
partly work in my case last year. This year I'm growng them in
containers 2' above ground level, and as a comparison, two rows at
ground level using grass clippings as a mulch.

Peter

--
He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I
could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far