Old 19-06-2008, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sandy Sandy is offline

Default Bursting Cabbages

fixerman wrote:
Pam Moore;799098 Wrote:
On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 18:54:45 +0100, fixerman
wrote:
-

I had some really nice cabbbages growing in my little garden until
recently the nice firm heads just started to burst open. Now they look
horrible as if the were shredded.

Any advice welcome please. The variety is similar to Hispi.

I have tried uploading a JPG picture but it keeps failing-

I think you just left them in the ground too long. They are getting
ready to flower and set seed.

Pam in Bristol

Thanks Pam,

but I don't think it's a bolting problem. There is no sign of a flower
stalk. It's just as if all the nice tightly packed leaves suddenly
shrunk and split into sherds. I wish I could upload a picture.

Fixerman

I've had exactly the same problem with some of my remaining cabbages. I
wondered if it was a result of a small whitefly infestation but none of
the ones I harvested earlier in the year were similarly affected so
maybe it's just that they've been in the ground too long.

These were planted last autumn and we've enjoyed them as spring greens
in early spring and full crispy cabbages in latter months.