Old 19-06-2008, 11:51 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
DWMeowMix DWMeowMix is offline

Default Overhead or underhand

On Jun 19, 5:26*pm, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote:
Persephone wrote in message

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 18:02:27 -0800, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas
wrote:

Persephone wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 09:20:27 -0800, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas
wrote:

[...]
"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere
critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and
imperfectly,
not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done."
Theodore Roosevelt 1891

Like many .sigs, this may SOUND good, but is actually simplistic.

Where did TR think that "man who actually does the work" got his
ideas? *In most cases, from the "man who [only] talks or writes about
how it ought to be done.

Not to denigrate the classic innovative "Yankee" tinkerer; the man
on the job has *often found the jig, or fix to make it work, where
management was too far removed from the project.

But TR's blustering statement throws out in one fell swoop the
whole of theory.

The theorist who appears to be staring out the window for hours
or days on end is *the one who was thinking out of the box -- the one
who changed history.

I suspect TR may have been talking about an idle or unproductive
critic, but his statement was poorly worded in that it appeared to
indict the "revolutionary" *theorist. *Did TR ever think about how the
theory of the speed of light, e.g. came to Einstein -- as a "thought
experiment". *Volumes of other examples exist.

A little humility, please, TR!

Persephone

Thank you for proving my point.

Now, do you actually have ANYTHING to say about the question?

Steve

Now, did you actually understand ANYTHING about the role of theorists
in advancing the human condition?

This is not a poster worth debating.

Persephone

I'm sorry you failed to notice this is a newsgroup about gardens rather than
"the role of theorists in advancing the human condition." *No, I have no
desire to participate in mental masturbation with someone who assigns
themself the name of a dead god.

I'd just like some information regarding gardening. *Since you are incapable
of doing that because of being so seriously educated beyond your capacity, I
choose not to debate with you.

Now, if other posters, who are entitled to speak for themselves would like,
I will debate all day about whether to use round or oblong horse turds for
fertilizer, whether to furrow north-south vs. east-west, and whether ionized
water is better for rutabagas than softened water. *However, I do not care
to participate in the nitpicking hair splitting debate you seem so fond of
pursuing themes and topics you yourself cannot set parameters on.

Now be gone, child. *You bore me.

Steve- Hide quoted text -

You Go Steve! Right on! I was wondering the same thing. I'm sure
there's a phylosiphy (can't even spell it!) and theory board where the
human condition can be discussed all night, this isn't it. I
apologize Steve, I just had to say something. But I am very
interested in hearing the answer to your question because I'm
interested in doing something similar myself and would like to know
what others have done.