Old 19-06-2008, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default Bird feeding observations

"echinosum" wrote in message

'Mike';798930This is why it is SO important to continue feeding all sorts
of the various feedstuffs ALL of the time.[/QUOTE Wrote:

There's a magpie's nest with chicks in it next door. I think attracting
lots of passerines to my garden might be just what they want. That's my
excuse for not feeding just now, anyway.

Very good reason I am afraid. Whilst you make your garden the feeding centre
for the birds of your choice, it is also a 'feeding station' for the Sparrow
Hawks etc. That's nature.

I was told you shouldn't put out peanuts when there are nestlings,
because the parents try to feed it to their chicks and it does em no
good.

Not so. I have seen the adult chewing and pulverising the nuts etc before
feeding the young. I have some superb photos somewhere and will post them up
sometime. They are parents and careful.

Mike