Old 19-06-2008, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default black raspberry?

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| I don't know what the botanical characters are which separate the
| subgenera, but horticulturally raspberries and blackberries have
| different habits. Raspberries produce erect fruiting canes and spread by
| rhizomes. Blackberries have a mounding or rambling growth habit, and
| spread by tip-rooting.

Only usually :-)

This came up, and someone referred to suckering blackberries, which
I said didn't happen. Well, the other poster was certain, so I looked
it up. I wuz ronk. There are UK (sub-)species that spread by suckers,
like raspberries, don't tip-root, and are common on acid soils.

Section suberecti, if you are interested, whatever that is called
nowadays.

And Japanese wineberries are, fide Wikipedia, tip-rooting raspberries.
(I had intentionally restricted the scope of my statement, to avoid such
quibbles.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley