Old 20-06-2008, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Cactus plants

In article ,
Stephen Wolstenholme writes:
| On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 14:43:07 +0100, mt006b1198
| wrote:
|
| I am thinking of trying to grow cactus plants, I grew them once b4 but
| I made the mistake of overwatering them and they went all floppy.
|
| I was just wondering if anybody could advise me on how often I should
| water them?
|
| Mine get watered about once every three or four weeks in summer if I
| remember. No water at all in winter. They flower in summer and they
| are about 40 years old so I must be doing something right!

Except for Rhipsalis and perhaps a few others, cacti are arid climate
plants, and that is what they would get in the wild (waving hands
wildly). Are there any cacti other than Rhipsalis that are easy to
kill by UNDERwatering?

I am no cactus expert, incidentally.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.