Old 20-06-2008, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeff Layman Jeff Layman is offline

Default Cactus plants

mt006b1198 wrote:
Hi

I was wondering if anybody could please help me.

I am thinking of trying to grow cactus plants, I grew them once b4 but
I made the mistake of overwatering them and they went all floppy.

I was just wondering if anybody could advise me on how often I should
water them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Shelley

Most cacti from higher altitudes or those north or south of the tropics of
Cancer and Capricorn are often pretty frost resistant (some cacti grow well
in the prairies in the south of Canada, and spend the winter happily under
several feet of snow, which insulates them from the -40°C above). However,
that doesn't mean they will also tolerate damp roots in winter.

The first requirement is a very free-draining compost. Use one part John
Innes to two parts sharp sand, or equal parts JI, sharp sand, and grit. It
doesn't matter if it's JI1, 2, or 3. Or if you aren't sure, just purchase a
proprietary cactus compost.

The next requirement is to be in a greenhouse in winter. Many cacti will
withstand a degree or three of frost if kept bone dry, but I prefer to keep
the greenhouse at just above freezing (1 or 2°C). You can keep them warmer,
but if too warm they will try to grow and get etiolated. Also, they need a
prolonged cold, dry spell to flower. Although not growing, good light is
still preferable in winter.

As to watering, a simple rule is no water for 6 months (I use mid-September
to mid-March). Then start watering gently - just dampen the soil a little
at the start to get the roots going again. It depends a bit on the weather
as to frequency of watering. If still cold and dull, I would barely water
in April and May. But if sunny and warm, once a fortnight is ok. In June,
July, and August you can water as often as you like. A weakish tomato
fertiliser helps flowering next year.

You can grow cacti in a room with a south-facing window, but they will
probably need a slight watering every month in winter. The chances of
flowers are almost zero if not given a winter rest.

Good luck with your cacti. You won't regret it; there are very few other
plants you can leave to fry in a greenhouse in high summer and not come back
to a brown crinkle when you return from holiday!

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)