Old 20-06-2008, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Grevillea dying off

In article ,
Chris Hogg writes:

| Is there any relatively simple way of sterilising soil infected with
| phytophthora, available to the amateur (Jeyes Fluid rings a bell)?
| Alternatively, what shrubs are resistant to it, do you know?
|
| Chris, have you checked for honey fungus?
|
| Er...no, good point, although no sign of fruiting bodies. I'll check
| for bootlaces under the bark.

Unfortunately, there are a zillion soil-borne organisms that can
cause those symptoms, including thousands of species of fungi.
I doubt very much that you will see bootlaces on a plant that is
even partly alive, and you are more likely to see a white or
yellow mesh - which won't identify the fungus!

Soil sterilisation doesn't work on any of them, with any reasonable
reliability. The reason is that the organism will be back as soon
as the poisonous concoction wears off. Going for resistant varieties
isn't easy when you don't know what the organism is.

The only practical solution is improve the growing conditions,
and it's pretty hard to avoid waterlogging when it doesn't stop
raining.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.