Old 21-06-2008, 01:02 AM posted to rec.gardens
infiniteMPG infiniteMPG is offline

Default Kill My Palmettos!!! PUH-LEASE!!!!

We have an acre lot in west central Florida and palmettos are the norm
just about everywhere. I have dug up some 'infestations' and they
never come back but you have to dig them out completely. A few places
in our lot the palmettos have sprung up at the base of nice southern
pine trees. We have a weed whacker with a brush attachment blade and
we can hack 'em down to the ground which we do... several times a
month. What we were wondering is if there is anything we can do to
exterminate the palmettos without harming the pine trees? We were
half way tempted to cut them down and then pour weed/brush killer in
the cut trunks/stems, trying to be careful not to spill it all in the
ground at the pine tree roots.

Anyone got any suggestions short of napalm or bulldozers????

Thanks!