Old 20-06-2008, 08:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Lumber for raised beds

SteveB wrote:
I want to make some raised beds for gardening. I'm going to use pipe
supports, which I have a lot of. I want to make 4' x 12' x 12" deep or so
beds. What would be a good lumber for this? I want something that is going
to last for a while, although I know nothing lasts forever.

Steve

I made some raised garden beds with green-treated lumber a few years ago
(the new green stuff, not the good old arsenic kind.) I had read that
you have to use hot-dipped galvanized nails, or the salts in the wood
would rust the nails completely in two in a short time. I used 16d
bright common nails, not galvanized at all. I knocked one of the beds
apart this spring, and the nails were rusty but still strong and
holding. Maybe the problem is just with flash-galvanized nails?

If you want a wood that's just naturally decay resistant, cypress is
about the best there is -- assuming you can find cypress lumber.

Bob