Old 07-04-2003, 04:56 AM
Polar

Default New house, big yard, what next???

On Sun, 6 Apr 2003 19:01:27 -0400, Robin
wrote:

In article ,
says...
I've even thought
about calling a landscape person out, but I'm sure that'd be way too
much. Do they come out and do advising for a small fee?

Ask around at your local nurseries. One near my office offers free
designs, no strings attached, in the hope that you'll come back and buy
plants from them.

I took them a half dozen pictures of my house and property and spent an
hour or so talking about what I wanted out of the landscape. A few
weeks later I received a very nicely drawn (with architectural templates
and color) garden design. The designer spent another hour with me going
over it, answering questions, and had a suggestion for one plant in the
design that I did not want.

Man, you lucked out! All that service for nada, niente, nothing, gar
nicht! So then did you buy the plants from them? Did you pay
wholesale or retail?

I, too, inquired at my local nursery, and was referred to a
landscale person whose fee was $60 per hour. She worked out pretty
well, all things considered, design-wise, and wholesale plant-wise
(though on some of the plants, I could have done as well at the
neighborhood nursery).

Of course I installed everything myself! With all the roots & stuff I
had to dig out, it would have cost the national debt to have her
install the plants! It was a LONG and taxing job, but I had the
satisfaction of placing things where I wanted them.

--
Polar