Old 20-06-2008, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Poole Dave Poole is offline
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon
Default Punica granatum (Pomegranate)

I've got one that was grown from seed and seems to cope perfectly well
here. It flowered sparsely last year, but I don't think there was
enough sun during the summer to ripen wood sufficiently for flowers
this year. I rate it very highly as an ornamental, deciduous shrub/
small tree and there's no question as to its hardiness here. The
glossy leaves always look right and turn a warm amber yellow before
falling in early winter. Nick's comments hint at what it seems to
need: harsh, direct sun and heat for as long as possible. I'm not
bothered about any fruits, because the foliage and flowers are enough
to warrant its inclusion in my patch.