Old 21-06-2008, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Punica granatum (Pomegranate)

On 20/6/08 19:39, in article
, "Dave
Poole" wrote:

I've got one that was grown from seed and seems to cope perfectly well
here. It flowered sparsely last year, but I don't think there was
enough sun during the summer to ripen wood sufficiently for flowers
this year. I rate it very highly as an ornamental, deciduous shrub/
small tree and there's no question as to its hardiness here. The
glossy leaves always look right and turn a warm amber yellow before
falling in early winter. Nick's comments hint at what it seems to
need: harsh, direct sun and heat for as long as possible. I'm not
bothered about any fruits, because the foliage and flowers are enough
to warrant its inclusion in my patch.

I'd have to agree with that. It's such a beautiful shrub in flower that
lack of fruit is simply unimportant. We don't have one here and I don't
know if it would take our wet and soggy winters but might be worth a try.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com