Old 21-06-2008, 01:49 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Overhead or underhand

Dan L. wrote:
In article , Persephone
wrote:

snip...

It is not OK to attack people personally, but it is very much OK to
attack IDEAS! Of course if it's done thoughtfully, that helps.
But going back over the history of humankind, especially the
last few thousand years, it is ridiculously easy to make a list of
ideas which were once accepted, but now have been shown to be
flawed.

Today's assignment:

I feel that statement "It is not OK to attack people personally"
is wrong!!!!! To restrict ones' speech in any way is bad. One should
have the right to call another: stupid, idiot, fat, ugly or any
other
derogative or negative term. Most insulting words are defined by the
person stating it. Restricting free speech in my book - will do more
harm in any society than good. Teachers should have right to say,
"You
stupid idiot - go back and do it right!" I believe insults help
build
mental calluses for a stronger mind. People who are offended by
statements are just simply weak minded. Free speech should include
cussing in public as well.

In my book, people do not have the right to state lies about a
person
or in which people are directly physically harmed by speech (Like
FIRE when there is no fire).

If one does run into a week minded person, one should learn to
"duck"
or "run like a rabbit" when insulting them. If it is being suggested
that "It is not OK to attack people personally" in physical way ...
agree

Just for the record, I am attacking the stupid chick's IDEA about
free
speech, not the stupid chick herself

Enjoy Life ... Dan

A person who cannot defend his ideas without resorting to insults and
"cussing" is far more weak minded than any individual who takes
exception to being insulted.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)